
4/8/08
My dear mother and father family and friends, I am in Huanuco a mountain town high in the Andes mountains and I love it.. Early last week I got transferred to a province shipped out on a bus for 9 hours. I was so scared and anxious. I traveled on the highest freeway in the world through the Andes with three other Latinos. The area is 15000 feet above sea level. The bus ride was so crazy! We drove right by Cerro de Pasco, the highest city in world, and I saw llamas and little old ladies in cowboy hats just like national geographic. It was exciting and so foreign. We were at 15,000 feet and people were literally up-chucking everywhere. I prayed the whole time and only had a little headache. Altitude sickness didn’t bother me and still doesn’t. I’m really blessed. It was a crazy trip. We were literally 6 inches from cliffs in this bus plus the driver dude had road rage! I am here in Huanuco with my new companion, Elder Hamoani from Arequipa. He is good guy who wants to work hard!!!!
Dad and Mom, I’m ok!! It’s no secret I’ve been through absolute hell in my old area and with my old companion--- he was such a punk! Now I am in the mountains and it’s so pretty. We live above a family in a cement box house and they are really nice. The food is better too!
I want to be the best I can. I can literally feel the Lord leading me by the hand and directing my life and in this mission. It is inspirational and I know this mission is molding me into the man God and I want to be, fast. I’m growing up so much and have been through really hard times but I’m doing great and I am happy and I know the Lord is with me every step of the way.
I have built my faith on my savior Jesus Christ and I will not and cannot fall.
The day I got here I was one of three white dudes and this way nice kid helped me learn the ropes and things and now I’m doing so good! Everything is good, my new comp and the area and this new kid and me have lots of fun. He is old, but that I have grown to really like him and I’ll give you a hint he doesn’t have a tooth? .....You got it Elder Birdsall-take 2. hehe Yep two nebies/greenies up in the mountains. haha I love Huanuco, its so pretty like Germany and Hawaii and it has perfect weather. It is a little frigid at night and when I shower (woof !). But I’m happy and my zone leader is the bomb and Elder Birdall and me have lots of good times! We buy salchi papas hot dogs and potatoes to survive and I’m happy.
I’m sorry the next couple letters that you get might be hard to read because it was so hard for me. The days were so rough. I am fine now, and I can do this! I’m gaining weight and I’ve only been here for 5 days,.
We are in an area that hasn’t had missionaries. We are opening this area my companion and me. I am a new Elder, sometimes I don’t know what Pres. Lindstrom is thinking giving us so much responsibility and trust, but I will do my best.
I really have loved the last week its completely different in provinces and I couldn’t be happier. Thanks for all wonderful mail. I try to make every letter a little care package for you mom.
I am in the mountains and its crazy mail. It still comes every week and the same address. My new comp is chill, everything about this new area is for me and I thank the Lord everyday. I feel like I have broken through my first wall. Be happy for me!
I will send pictures of this place. You will all love it!
I had opportunity to listen to one and one half sessions in English what a tender mercy!! My favorite talk was the one on prayer by Elder Bednar. Oh how wonderful! I loved it and I liked the last talk of President Monson and also Elder Ballard’s talk before that on mothers. I thought of my sweet mother. I love conference and that powerful talk by Elder Zwick wow . Conference was really special for a tender mercy for me!
I know you were probly all thinking of me and i was thinking of you too! Muah—(Ani told me this word means kiss) my heart burns for you all thanks!
I forgot to say happy b-day to you dad! Happy B-day! I love you and way to go Clint, wow you’re a stud! (He is saying congratulations to Clint. Clint won the Outstanding Young Engineering Professional of the Year for the Utah Water and Environmental Association) I know the Lord has blessed you Clint and Dad. You have a good life course and you do good service and I want to be just like you.
I’m in the jungles and I couldn’t be happier. Don’t be sad mom! Your sonshine is fine! “ They ain’t nothing going to break my stride …ain’t nothing going to bring me down,” …. I will try to be more positive and have good attitude. I feel so blessed with the way everything is right now. Look up Huanaco on Internet. I’m here with a big river and green mountains. I love you all and will talk to you next week.
I know this church is so true. I can feel spirit flowing through me. God and Jesus live here with me everyday! Love your son Elder Jon Rogers