2/25/08
Hey mom and dad,and family,
I’m here in Peru and I’m alive and surviving. My Preparation day is on Monday, except when I go to the temple. When we have a temple day our preparation day is changed for that week only. I am serving in Lima in the Bayovar Stake. I am assigned to the Villa Hermosa and Valle Sagrado wards. My companion is Elder Echegaray from Chiclayo, Peru. He is native and so we don’t really talk a lot but he knows what he is doing and I’m learning a lot I am in really rough part just me and my comp I’ve been here for five days know and my house is the humblest thing you have ever seen half our house doesn’t have a roof and my bed is on a bucket and bricks. It’s just made out of cement and it’s just really dirty. I took a lot of pictures and I’ll send them later.
This area is known for lots of baptisms we are about an hour outside of Lima in slums and there are nasty dogs everywhere. There are dirt roads with houses made out of sticks bricks wood tarps duct tape no lie it’s the craziest thing. I was so nervous the first day. We only have cold showers and the food is really hard to eat. I’m doing ok and surviving I’ll try to be happy. I’m sorry I haven’t been able to email but my p-day is on Monday so it should be a regular thing I’m getting used to things and hanging in there. I pray so much everyday and this is the craziest adventure. You’re going to die when you see for yourself were I live yikes... well we need to talk about business.
They are threatening to take away email so the new rule is that there can only be one address yours jemcoinv@infowest.com Ok that’s just what we have do. Mom so tell everyone in family, Bishop, President, uncles, aunts that they must email you and then you forward it to me ok. It’s frustrating but I’m so grateful for email so please help me gather it all Sunday night and then forward to me especially tell Kylee girl ok thanks.
Mom, and please don’t read theirs you can read mine reply if you must but just send it to me this is only way I can receive email is through the jemcoinv@infowest.com address you so please tell Kylee and everyone fast and if they already sent some last five days since last wed 20. Tell them to resend to you and then you send to me...please!!!
Thanks I love you all and am doing well. You send mail by pouch and regular. I would just mail regular like you have been. I got a few letters the first day that were 1 month old at the office that were pouch. I got one today from mom with newspaper so send regular mail. I think it is the best bet also you can send packages in big envelope and padded envelope with mission home address. Just go to post office and write everything that is in the package on green slip outside of package. I am sorry the mail is so slow i haven’t received any recent mail in two weeks. It is so frustrating but know it will all work out and it will soon catch up like the CCM . I love all of you and would really enjoy any mail from you mom. I write you every week mom, dad, Kylee and I will email Mondays. The area I am in is wild and everyday I sweat climbing up the hills to teach people in the huts but the mission is having big success and we have a goal of 400 yeah 400 baptisms this mouth as a mission. There are a little less then 200 missionaries in the mission and me and my comp have 6 people we are teaching that are committed for March 9th- yeah! I’m getting the language bit by bit but it’s hard I’ve been put in the fire but your always in my prayers.
love you mom and dad your son Elder Rogers