Monday, July 7, 2008

Letter from Jauja 7-7-08

7-7-08
Hey family, This is Jon Rog down in Jauja. Man its chilly but no fear I’ve made some purchases. I sent a card and I’m rock’in totally Peru old school style. I’m doing great family! I want to tell everyone Clint and Em, Lish and Tyler, Erika and Rick, Ang, Ani, mom, dad, tj and juj hehe. Thanks so much for the fun emails and letters and love. I’m sorry I even said anything about the mail, because I’m still racking it in and am so loved and so blessed and really so grateful. Don’t stress I’m happy hehe and love it all! Well I’m in Juaja and its way crazy cold and fun. Every Sunday they have huge market swamp meet. They are always on Sunday. I mean just HUGE! That makes attendance in church really low. We had 6 in class yesterday, my companion and I one teacher and 3 others but its ok. We have got our work cut out for us. The house where I live is a pretty good one with semi hot water to shower hehe. We live so far away from pentionista that when she brings dinner it’s usually cold, but its all-good cause we walk to her house for the other two. The food is ok, well pretty rough but I try to smile and just eat all of it that I can. I usually buy things in stores to help keep me happy. I’m warm and sleep with two hug blankies and the Pine Valley blanket. I haven’t gotten any packages yet but wrote a card to office to see what’s up. They should be coming, thanks so much! My companion works pretty hard sometimes but this week has been a little rough. We haven’t studied once together and he doesn’t like doing planning or numbers so I do it.
Yea well he sleeps everyday while I study but we usually leave at 11:00a.m. I don’t mind the extra study. I’m really trying to work hard on Spanish and I am on page 123 of the Spanish book of 500 pages and I am learning tons. My companion and I get along fine but we just don’t do all we are supposed to. Its really so frustrating but I will continue to push forward. This week has been pretty good we are working with a couple different people and one lady that is so confused with catholic religion hehe its so funny and she is my favorite investigator, she is like now wait just a minute you boys tell me God and Jesus are different people now that’s just silly. She has huge Old Catholic bible that’s like two feet high. I’m really enjoying learning dad. Some times I’ll just read, read, read while my companion sleeps and learn so much about Jauja and the old investigators. Then I am ready to go at 11:00a.m. I’m trying to get streets and directions down. It is way cluttered and confusing...but I’m slowly starting to figure everything out. I love reading my book and am speaking a lot better, and at pensinistas house she has a radio always playing but never music only advertisements of businesses in town. Some times I go to the restroom and take the radio with me and just listen to 5- 7 min of commercials. Then I try to recognize the addresses and directions and what they are saying. Its way fun cause they joke just like American radio. They have things like; “subs so fast you’ll freak” It challenges me when they talk fast hehe, but I can pick up on it and love it. I got a letter from grandma the other day marked Jan 10th. She told me good luck in CCM. hehe I think I’m getting everything eventually so don’t worry. Muah thanks muah!
It’s kind of scary knowing I’m out here all-alone, but I know I’m never alone.
2 Tim 1:7
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
and I know this is the perfect set up for me to become a man of the lord. I love teaching and speaking and just doing my studies. I know obedience is another word for happiness and faith and I will try my best to make all you proud and keep fighting. It is really tough the work and everything but its getting better I love you all so much and if you have questions make a questions page and we will chat next week. I’ll be in the fields of Jauja until then! I sent you a fun card through the post so they should be coming soon. I cant wait to hear from you next week.Your son, Elder Rogers