Letter from Jon 10-6-08
Hey family and everyone,
Wow.. another great week of conference! I loved every bit and I got to watch all 5 sessions. Conference started out a little rough, we watched through the Internet. This was the first time that I had ever tried to watch on the Internet. The church has really got a nice system. You can watch on the Internet just like TV but you have to have a nice computer which is very rare and hard to find down here in Jauja and I was so excited and prayed to get good computer and for the spirit. I was so excited and we left to go watch at 9:30 to get a computer up and running. Conference started at 11 here but I wanted to listen to the music. To make a long story short the adversary was working pretty dang hard. My companion and I were probably the only two people in Jauja that wanted to watch conference and 5 out of 9 places with computers were closed because there was a big party in central sat and sun. We had to walk the whole town to find one hole-in-the wall computer terminal. After an hour of trying to make it work, we left and went to another hole in the wall Internet shop. Still we could only hear conference we could not watch and it still didn’t work too well. At one point I started to tear up and then just cried in my little cubicle because I was so so so frustrated and it was 11:30 already. I finally got it to work and then for the afternoon session we were able to find a better store to watch the afternoon session from. I loved it and was so thrilled when it started working. You can guess the talks I loved. “God does love me” by Anderson and “Hope” by Uchtdorf. I’ve always loved the subject of hope and I’ve defiantly felt the grief and pain and stuff in my life so far on my mission. I felt the Uchtdorf talk was just for me.I also loved talk by Japanese girl about missionaries. It is cool being a missionary during conference you feel the support when people talk about missionaries, I like it when she says if you have a missionary write him letters of love and support. She knows she was one and she know that letters save you.I loved many talks and took really good notes. I also watched both the sessions Saturday on the computer in English yeah! Sunday we went to the stake center in Huanacayo. We watched the sessions in Spanish by the satellite. The power was out all day Sunday but the stake center had a generator hehe nothing stops us!I loved the stories of respecting wives and girls and marriage, and also the prophets stories. I love when he said the best feeling in this life is receiving a prompting and acting on it and then finding out later it was the fulfillment of someone’s prayer. If there ever is an errand that the Lord needs run I Tom ( jon rog )will run it! Conference was great! In Jauja life is good. We took an investigator Daniel to conference with us Sunday and he has committed to getting baptized this Saturday! He is 18 years old and is a friend of Brigham. We have like 13 boys preparing for missions. I’m so excited! I know when we save one we save many!We also had really good experience this week. Hermana Carolina and her daughter gave us three referrals; a couple of families with 2 children and single mom and her two sons. We taught them all together in Carolina’s house. She is excited to share the gospel know she has it and its amazing. I want to baptize a family so bad I hope her friends will see the happiness this gospel brings and follow the example of Carolina.The work is good and we got 6 close to baptism. All we have to do is get them to go to church.The drug problems are still here we got stopped coming to Huancayo just before church and the Internet. It’s way scary there always looking for someone and always packing the heat! But it’s all good. We got out and walked the rest of way. They know we got nothing but the Book of Mormon .I got 3 packages this week! It was like Christmas! I’ve already got to work on the lasagna in dried package. It should help my weight watcher plan. I also got the whey powder and snacks! Thanks so much! I’m so spoiled even now I love it its like birthday month for me. I got it all mom thanks! Muah! And I love the church movies and so do our investigators. They love Elder Rog and Benites cause we always got something fun to give or watch or play thanks to good a good family. You guys are big in the workI love it when the Prophet told the story of the circus. He said childhood wont wait! I cant wait to party with you when I get back! It’s so true and I had a great childhood and I still think I have a little left hehe!Well today we also rode on a bus and man got on from circus looking for some money and started doing tricks. Everyone was like o boy here we go again. This dude was desperate and I felt bad. He rolled up cigar and stomped on it telling us it wouldn’t break and it did. Then he like chucked it out the window. Then he did a card trick and dropped his cards and we all saw that they were glued together. I was embarrassed for him so I turned and looked out window and prayed for his dignity. It was a harsh crowd. Then he said wait one more trick and if you like it you must pay a sole… He said he would eat new cards and he did …and I was like what, a weirdo. Then he talked for like 3 min and then put his hand in the air and spit the cards all back out perfect but wet!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the happened!!!!!!!! The bus was in awe!! It was all part of his act. We were all taken in. ….wow. I saw him eat them and chew and swallow and talk…….. needless to say I reached for my billfold!Love you allYour son elder rogP.S. My heart was pounding with talk of Eduarado Gavvarett the general authority that told about Peru he was here 4 weeks ago. I shook his hand and talked to him he was taking about my mission in Lima Bayovar, canta rey!
(This is probably the GA that looked like he would speak English but only spoke Spanish when he visited the mission. )